If you are experiencing a shoulder injury, your physician may recommend physiotherapy services. When performed correctly and under supervision, physiotherapy can help patients mend from various shoulder injuries and improve their overall range of motion.
At We-Fix-U, we know firsthand the value of quality, personalized physiotherapy. We help patients from all walks of life enjoy reduced pain and better whole-body movement. Below, we discuss our top three choices for shoulder physical therapy exercises.
When beginning physiotherapy, your team may recommend one or more of the exercises you find in this article. As always, never perform exercises that cause pain, and never start a physiotherapy program without medical advice from your physician or physiotherapy team.
Top Three Shoulder Stretches To Relieve Pain
Each one of these exercises targets shoulder muscles differently. Speak to your physiotherapy team to learn more about how these exercises might help your recovery.
1: Chest Expansion
Designed to expand flexibility and range of motion in the shoulders, the chest expansion exercise stretches the intercostal muscles, relaxes the shoulder blades, and engages the diaphragm and pelvic floor. This helps with balance and centered breathing.
- Stand, holding an exercise strap or band behind your back with both hands, looking straight ahead. This is your resting position.
- Push chest out and up gently, stretching arms back and moving shoulder blades together.
- Lift your chin and look toward the ceiling.
- Hold for 15 seconds.
- Return to resting position.
- Repeated three or more times, increasing reps gradually.
2: Neck Release
The neck release stretch helps patients increase flexibility and range of motion, working the scalene and suboccipital muscles. This stretch works well for tension, muscle knots, and tightness in the shoulders near the neck.
- While standing, slowly move your chin to your chest.
- Gently tilt your head and neck to the right shoulder, stopping before you feel any pain.
- Hold this position for up to 30 seconds.
- Repeat for the opposite shoulder.
- Return to resting.
- Complete 3-5 reps as comfortable
3: Across-The-Chest Stretching
This stretch works the posterior deltoid muscle while lengthening the pectorals. Like other stretches on this list, this exercise increases flexibility in the shoulder joint and muscles, reducing tension and pain.
- While standing or sitting, bring your left arm across your chest, keeping the elbow as straight as possible.
- Using your left hand, gently brace and pull your arm closer to your chest, stopping before any pain.
- Hold for up to 30 seconds.
- Repeat with the left arm, completing 3-5 reps on each side.
No physiotherapy exercise should cause pain. If you experience pain during any at-home physiotherapy prescribed by your physician or team, stop this exercise until you can speak with your provider.
Learn More Exercises For Shoulder Pain
To learn more about shoulder physical therapy exercises and receive top-quality physiotherapy care in Bowmanville, reach out to our team at We-Fix-U today.